Languages
As this is a new forum, I would greatly appreciate it if you registered.
A bigger member list makes me happy.

To register, click the big green plus at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Languages
As this is a new forum, I would greatly appreciate it if you registered.
A bigger member list makes me happy.

To register, click the big green plus at the top of the page.
Languages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infinitive, Inflection, Interjection, Interrogative pronoun

Go down

Infinitive, Inflection, Interjection, Interrogative pronoun Empty Infinitive, Inflection, Interjection, Interrogative pronoun

Post  CJ Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 am

Infinitive

The infinitive is a particular verb form which expresses the verbal idea in its simplest form. It has no marking for tense, mood, person or other grammatical categories.

In English, the infinitive is the bare form of the verb. It is the form which can immediately follow a modal auxiliary verb like will or may. Examples are: break, stop, invite, work, write, decide etc.

The infinitive can follow the particle: to. This form is sometimes called the to-infinitive. Note that that to is not a part of the infinitive at all; it can readily be separated from the following infinitive by a that-clause.

Inflection
Changes in the form of a verb for grammatical reasons. The noun book has two inflected forms: book and books. The verb write has five inflected forms: write, writes, writing, wrote, written. In the same way, the verb be has three inflected forms: be, being and been.

Interjection
A word or phrase which, as a rule, occurs by itself. An interjection expresses emotion. It does not form part of a sentence. English examples are: Damn!, Ouch!, My God!

Interrogative pronoun
A pronoun which asks a question. The English ones are: who, what and which.

Who were you talking to?

What are you doing there?

Which do you prefer?
CJ
CJ
Admin

https://language.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum